Churches near Hotel Il Sereno

Il Sereno brings a new era of luxury to the banks of Italy’s iconic Lake Como. Awarded the title of "Most Anticipated New Luxury Hotel Opening in 2016" by Luxury Travel Advisor…

Note: Could not calculate driving distances for this card. Distances shown do not reflect actual driving route.

The village contains this interesting church that dates back to the 14th century. It has a fine Romanesque bell tower and a decorated Renaissance portal. An ancient chest behind the altar preserves a precious reliquary, a nail of the Holy Cross.

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The church of Santa Tecla is near the harbor in a quiet and pleasant; recently restored, in it you can see the remains of frescoes by Bartolomeo De Benzi and Andrea De Passeris. Located on the right bank of Lake Como, Torno preserves the characteristics of a medieval village, with some significant architectonic…

Urio, the part of the town that lies south of Carate, is characterized by the Romanesque bell tower of the Saints Quirico and Giulitta church that stands close to the lake. Rebuilt in 1865 from an original Romanesque church with…

Photo: rete.comuni-italiani.it

Situated in the hamlet of Vignola, along the ancient Via Regina, it preserves its ancient structure in bare stone decorated with small arches. The exterior has remains of Renaissance and late Gothic frescos. The interior is divided into two naves with semi-circular apses. There is a particularly fine 16th…

Photo: triangololariano.it

Built in the Romanesque period, between the 11 and 12th centuries, but underwent many changes and expansions to its current appearance. It was the first parish church of Molina; over the centuries, the population…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

Built on location of a church dating back to the 16th century, Santi Epimaco e Girdino was completely rebuilt in the second half of the 18th century. The original parish church is located in the lower part of town, near the lake. For this reason, during the twentieth century it was abandoned and the benefit of the…

Church built between 1910 and 1931 in Palanzo, a small village above Faggeto Lario. The short hike affords great views of the lake from a a nearby park.

Photo: triangololariano.it

The church already existed in the fifteenth century but was rimaneggita between the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. The Romanesque bell tower displays although its construction is significantly late. During the…

Built in the second half of the sixteenth century, this church was remodeled and expanded in later periods. Distinct for its large columns and the sixteenth round arches on the porch.

The church of San Rocco was the parish church of Pognana Lario up to 1744,…

The church of San Vincenzo in Cernobbio is located in the historic part of the town, in front of Tolomeo Gallio square, a few steps away from the lake. We can date the origin of the church back to 1150, a pastoral visit of Bishop Niguarda that took place in 1593, described the building as small and modest.

St. George, as with other holy warriors (Michael and Martin) was highly revered by the Lombards. The present church was built in the sixteenth century on the site of a former…

The building was first started between 1908 and 1912. Luigi Dell'Orto, mayor of Cernobbio for almost thirty years, wanted this church to solemnize his wedding with Elizabeth Lucca. After the war,…

Photo: triangololariano.it

Built between 1723 and 1744 and consecrated by Bishop Albrici Pellegrini in 1764. The façade, in the Baroque style, is characterized by four pilasters and from the portal…

Photo: triangololariano.it

This is situated in the locality of Rovasco and is from the 12th-13th centuries. It was renovated several times and was extended in the fourteenth century. It has preserved frescoes of the Blessed Virgin with Baby Jesus and St. Christopher. It is believed that its dedication to San Miro derives from the…

The church, that stands near the lake, contains interesting frescoes, and the outside is characterized by an open porch to the lake with a double lancetwindow and a tall stone bell tower. It was the church of the community, which remained independent throughout the Middle Ages.

Occupying an enviable position high above the town of Como and Como branch of the lake, the church of Brunate contains a wealth of history and art. The centuries-old history of the church contains beautiful artistic works (the fifteenth-century fresco with Santa Guglielma, the seventeenth-century paintings of…

Photo: Di Geobia

The church was founded in 1300 by two brothers Hermits of St. Augustine from Civilio, a village above Como, on land donated by a family whose members were later…

Temple of the Shrine dedicated to Our Lady of the Water Sports Prodigy. In a stormy crossing of the Adriatic, on the night of September 12, 1669, the family of Count Antonio Zancaropulo Berardo escaping from Crete, sought shelter in Venice. During the terrible storm…

The Church of Saints Nazario and Celso is just a short walk away from the waters of Lake Como, near the harbor in the old town of Brienno. Some documents attest to the presence of a church since the end of the thirteenth century, the Romanesque…

An omni-present feature of Lake Como’s skyline is the Como Cathedral with its white marble facade and imposing dome. The interior is equally spectacular boasting elaborate altar paintings, gargoyles and a magnificent dome.…

Photo: Geobia

Located in the middle of the walled town, the church was built between the 11th to the end of the 13th century and was possibly the first cathedral in Como. It features a complex planimetry including three short naves,…

The S. Cecillia Monastery, built around the middle of the thirteenth century, from 1270 was driven by the Lucini family and support of the Franciscans and the bishop Leone Lambertenghi. The building lies on the Roman walls of the imperial age, considered to be the Porta Pretoria Diocletian, destroyed by the Milanese…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The land where this shrine shrine now stands was once marsh close to the moat that surrounded the walled city of Como. It was barely habitable consisting of miserable hovels and shacks that led a dubious existence. In 1236 the canonical Erasmo Campacci embarked upon a clean up of the area—both physical and…

The current building was built on the site previously occupied by an older church: its construction began in 1593 and lasted until the next century (1617), when it became an independent parish. In the eighteenth century underwent a partial reconstruction that…

The Basilica of Sant'Abbondio is located outside the walls of Como, under Mount Croce, along a stretch of Via Regina that was an important area of ​​worship. The church has two notable bell towers rising at the end of the external aisles, in the middle…

Photo: triangololariano.it

The church of Saints Peter and Paul was believed to have been founded in the eleventh century by Bishop Rainald and consecrated in 1095 by Pope Urban II, who was traveling to Clermont-Ferrand to call the first crusade. Over the centuries, the building…

Photo: triangololariano.it

The small chapel is located in the historic center of Veleso, at the intersection of several streets. The façade is decorated with a fresco depicting the Crucifixion.

Photo: Enrico Colzani

First mentioned the thirteenth century, but excavations, have unearthed remains of a chapel built in eleventh and the twelfth century and rebuilt in the fifteenth century. The bell tower has been dated to the second half of the eleventh century.…

Photo: fabio.gastone

Built on a structure dedicated to Mercury and pagan cults. The first bishop of Como Felice changed the temple dedicated to a Christian church, in which he placed the mortal remains of Carpoforo. Located on the ancient…

Photo: Eremo San Salvatore

Nestled in the woods of the Natural Reserve of Valle Bova, the hermitage is available to accommodate individuals, couples, priests, lay people, religious, who want to enjoy moments of silence…

On the ancient road that ran through the Val d'Intelvi, between Biazzeno and Dizzasco stands the parish church SS. Pietro and Paolo with its tall bell tower. It stands on a hillock with a wide…

Photo: Comune di Albavilla

Built towards the end of 1300 to replace an existing chapel. The church, a single nave, built of local stone and brick, houses the remains of votive frescoes of…

Photo: Santa Maria degli Angeli

Also known as St. Anthony, as there is a preserved relic of the saint that is exposed to the congregation of the faithful every 17 January. The church was an integral part of the Franciscan convent of Santa Maria degli Angeli, founded in Crevenna at the end of the fifteenth century (around 1495), on the…

Parish church of Argegno made with Moltrasio stone in the Neo-romanic Style. A construction in neo-Romanesque style with a gabled facade enhanced by a rose window depicting saints. On the front of the church is a mosaic of the four Evangelists, the patron of Como, Saint Abbundius and Saint Anna, patron saint of Argegno.

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

With origins in the 17th century and remodelled later with an image of the patron saint on the facade by Bernardino Barelli. Noteworthy are the altar sculptures, frescoes, stucco, oil paintings, a Renaissance tabernacle and the wooden reliquary busts of St. Faustina and Liberata. Be sure to see the wonderful…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

Romanesque in origin, but built on the foundations of a medieval church as demonstrated by archaeological excavations. Another testimony to its antiquity is the dedication to Saints Cosmas and Damian, doctors who were…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The Parish Church is of Roman origin with a characteristic bell tower known "Tower Theodolinda" with distinct corner pilasters and arches. It is believed to be built on the ruins of an early medieval castle belonging to Queen Theodolinda, whose jeweled crown appears on the coat of arms. The nave frescoes and…

Next Page

Loading Page Content

Save and share the places you like with friends and fellow travellers.